Tuesday, January 31, 2012

autumn in ny





I'm still kind of amazed I get to do things like this for a living...
I remember when I had my first day of work as a REAL, union camera assistant on a commercial...and I thought to myself "I really did it, I'm here working in the camera dept., legitimately."
I guess that was as far ahead as I had gotten in the thought process, because I really had no idea what was next...or what i wanted to do next.

Now a real decade later I am here in the midst of a flower business, and it is so much more than I could have imagined it would be.

This fall I traveled to New York to design florals for Tiffany's biggest event of the year in tandem with an amazing artist Christopher Young. Thanks to him for this unimaginable opportunity, and a look behind the scenes into one of the most interesting American business still around. I saw things I never expected to, stood in front of a yellow diamond that was as blazing and bright as the sun. Guess I never fancied myself a diamond kind of gal...but maybe we all are, really. The artistry that goes into all of these one-off signature pieces was kind of a miracle thing to witness, and to imagine the process from approved drawing to completion was so fascinating to me.

There were gemologist rooms, lots of very nice but very serious security men, cases of fantastic bejeweled creations, all to be seen by invitation only...Tiffany's top 100 clients from around the globe. WOW!

Sarah of Saipua was a most gracious host and let me hang out and make a big mess in her studio.
Sarah is a whole other wonderful reason to go to NY. It was nice to swap flower stories and shoot the s**t a little. Wish we were neighbors really...then we could really dish.

I'm hoping to have professional shots of these pieces from the event soon...I am in LOVE with the curly and wild branches of forsythia. And asian pear....thank you new york flower market for some rare and unusual finds. One more...the yellow gloriosa....so tall!!! I won't even tell you how much they cost...I could have put diamonds IN the arrangements...well practically. BUT it was so worth it.

xo
kate























2 comments:

  1. Kate, these designs are just incredible. What an amazing opportunity - flowers for Tiffany's! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! I would kill to go to a NYC flower market! Are the large designs in the urns done in floral foam?

    ReplyDelete